Click to enlarge
Display the image pictured in the sidebar, Twelve Cupcakes, to children and encourage children to discuss what they see. You might also want to also display the image, Eight Cupcakes, from Making and Breaking Numbers, #1 and ask children to compare the two pictures.
Possible student responses
- There are three rows of cupcakes.
- There are four columns of cupcakes.
- There are 12 cupcakes in all.
- There are more cupcakes in this picture than in the picture yesterday.
- This one is like yesterday’s cupcake picture, but with four more cupcakes.
- If I ate two cupcakes, there would be 10 cupcakes left.
- There are six cupcakes with pink frosting and six with chocolate frosting.