Click to enlarge
Display the Headline Story to the class or read it aloud. The sample responses for the Headline Story are deliberately broader than what a class is likely to say. You might lead the discussion toward varied responses by asking questions such as, “What do you think Yoshi did with the pennies?”, “If Yoshi spent part of the pennies, what do you think she bought?” or “How many pennies did she have left?”
Yoshi had 15 pennies.
Possible student responses
- Yoshi has 15 cents. If Yoshi spent 1 penny, she would have 14 pennies left.
- If Yoshi found another penny, she would have 16 pennies.
- Yoshi could trade her pennies for 3 nickels.
- If Yoshi bought something for 5 cents, she would have 10 pennies left.
- Yoshi has enough money to buy something that costs 11 cents.
- Yoshi does not have enough money to buy something that costs 17 cents.
- If I had 18 pennies, I would have more money than Yoshi.
- If I had 2 nickels and no pennies, I would have less money than Yoshi.
- If I had a dollar, I would have more money than Yoshi.