Click to enlarge
Read the Headline Story to the children. To get children started, you might pose questions such as, “How many real elephants are there in the room? If I had six apples and gave them all away, how man would I have left?”
Tell a story that includes zero.
Possible student responses
- There are zero puppies in the classroom.
- I had 2 crackers, but then I ate them, so now I have zero crackers.
- When it is very cold outside, the temperature is zero.
- In a basketball game, the clock counts down to zero and then the game is over.
- I have 2 toy cars, but my brother has 0 toy cars.
- If you take 1 muffin away from 1 muffin, there are no muffins left.