Click to enlarge
Display the Headline Story pictured in the sidebar or copy it onto the board. Encourage children to discuss what the number sentence means and to create a story about it. Some children may think that the same number cannot go in the square and in the triangle in the number sentence from the Headline Story. While the same number must replace the same shapes in a number sentence , the same number can replace different shapes in a number sentence as well. Therefore, 5 + 5 = 10 is an appropriate response.
Possible student responses
- If we put 1 in place of the square, then 9 would replace the triangle.
- I did 6 jumping jacks, took a break, and did 4 more jumping jacks. I did 10 jumping jacks altogether.
- I built a tower that used 2 red blocks and 8 blue blocks. The tower was 10 blocks high.
- I put a pink ring on each finger on one hand and a green ring on each finger on my other hand. I had on 10 rings.
- Rusty made 2 jumps of 5 spaces each on the number line. Rusty jumped a total of 10 spaces.