Click to enlarge
Display the image pictured in the sidebar, Blue and Red Pattern Blocks, to the class. The sample responses are deliberately broader than what a class is likely to produce in any session. With each Headline Story, you might lead to one new response by asking one new question explicitly to help children learn to give more varied responses.
Possible student responses
- I see two different kinds of shapes.
- I see two different colors of blocks.
- I see six pattern blocks.
- The pattern goes blue, red, blue, red blue, red. I think a blue block comes next, then a red one.
- A number sentence I could write from this picture is 3 + 3 = 6 (3 red blocks + 3 blue blocks = 6 blocks altogether).
- You could also think of a red and blue block as a pair and write the sentence 2 + 2 + 2 = 6.