Click to enlarge
The sample responses for Headline Stories are deliberately broader than what a class is likely to produce in any session. With this Headline Story (and others), you might lead to one new response by asking one new question explicitly, to help children learn to give more varied responses.
Tell a story that includes the numbers 1, 2, and 3.
Possible student responses
- When you count, you say 1, 2, 3
- If I had one penny and I got another penny, I would have two pennies.
- If I got another penny after that, I would have three pennies.
- When a rocket is about to blast off, they count backwards and say 3, 2, 1, Blast Off!
- The other day, I had three pretzels. I ate two of them and I only had one pretzel left.
- I had a domino that had one dot on one side and two dots on the other side. It had three dots in all.