Click to enlarge
Display the image pictured in the sidebar, Rectangles, to children. Encourage children to tell a story about the figures. The sample responses are deliberately broader than what a class is likely to produce in any session.
Possible student responses
- I see four figures.
- I see a square and three rectangles.
- One of the figures looks crooked.
- All the figures have four sides.
- They all have four corners.
- All four shapes are rectangles.
- The first one is tall and skinny.
- A number sentence I could write for this picture is 3 + 1 = 4 (3 non-squares and 1 square make 4 rectangles).